In this article, we go over the basic setup of a cash drawer. Following these steps should cause the cash drawer to open when a sale is completed. For information on the initial setup of your receipt printer please refer to the setup article found “here.”
Setting up the cash drawer on a PC
- Connect the connector cable to the receipt printers DK port. (this is the cable that looks similar to a landline phone cable)
- Connect the printer to the computer. For instructions on how to do so please reference the printer setup article “here”
- Open settings, select devices, and then Printers and Scanners from the sidebar:
4.Select the star printer from the list, and then click manage
5. Select printer properties from the following list.
6. From the properties window, select the device settings tab.
7. Under peripheral unit Type, select cash drawer from the list.
8. Under peripheral unit 1, select document top from the list.
9. Click OK to save your changes.
Setting up the cash drawer on an Apple (Mac) computer
- Connect the connector cable to the receipt printer (this is the cable that looks similar to a landline phone cable)
- Connect the printer to the computer. For instructions on how to do so, please reference the printer setup article here:
- Open Safari, and go to http://localhost:631/printers/
This will take you to CUPS, Cups is a network printing service used by Mac computers, that allows you to set up your printers on a network, and customize the discrete settings of the printer.
4. Select the Star TSP143 Printer
5. Click “Set default options” from the list
6. Click Cash drawer control from the options.
7. Choose open drawer 1 from the list.
8. Click the set default options button to complete the process.
Note: If you receive a server cant be reached message, take a look at our article on how to Enable CUPS.